Innovation and research
David Gault developed EarBuddies™, tiny splints which can correct most baby ear deformities, when one of his own children was born with a misshapen ear. EarBuddies™ splints and the EarPerfect™ Ear Correction System™ are now used by parents and centres of excellence worldwide . The Royal College of Surgeons have recently recommended that all families are made aware of splinting early, so that minor deformities can be corrected quickly, avoiding teasing and surgery in later life.
His advances in surgery for ear deformity have permitted better results with shorter procedures and less risk.
In a combined project with the Swansea Institute, he developed the first Depilation (hair removal) Laser, and worked with Rhytec on Plasma Skin Regeneration technology to improve the appearance of ageing skin. He designed an extravasation technique to flush-out noxious chemotherapy drugs when they leak out of veins, an innovation which saves a number of limbs each year.
David Gault has written over 160 original academic publications based on his research, and is a regular faculty member and invited speaker at international meetings.
Memberships and Appointments
Prizes and Awards
- Medical Research Council, French Exchange Fellow (1987)
- Ethicon Travelling Scholarship (1987)
- Wellington Foundation Scholarship (1989)
- BAPS Travelling Bursary (1990)
- Arnold Huddart Medal, The Craniofacial Society of Great Britain (1990)
- Certificate of Educational Merit (BMA) for film “Extravasation Injuries” (1991)
- Certificate of Special Merit, World Federation of Physical Therapists 1991 for film “The Hand”
- Daily Star “Gold” Award 1992 (Reconstruction of the “Samurai Sword” Policeman, Rob Window)
- Merit Award, National Health Service (July 1996)
- Hackett Prize, BAAPS (December 1996)
- Contributor to Principles and Practice of Head and Neck Oncology (2003)
Winner of George Davey Howells Memorial Prize for most distinguished published contribution to the advancement of Otolaryngology during the preceding five years.
- CC Wu Visiting Professorship, Chinese University of Hong Kong (2004)
- Merit, Surgery Team of the Year, Hospital Doctor Awards (2005)
- Rowing, painting, planting
- Edinburgh University VIII and IV
- Record Breaking Row along Loch Ness
- Gold Medal Coxed Fours, BUSF 1974
- Men’s VIII, Scotland 1974